Friday 30 June 1837

Very fine morning had written rough draft of answer to Messrs. Alexander last night wrote ditto off Sutherland this morning and stood musing on both letters but with satisfaction squeezed into my tall glass and drank off the juice of 3 oranges - 1st time of my taking them in this way - the weather hot and this kind &c. made me unusually feverish - mais avec le temps tout s'arrange - Fahrenheit 65 1/2 now at 8 1/2 and went out till breakfast at 9 to near 10 - 1/4 hour at breakfast before Mr. Gray

Began gravely with the assurance that Ann should have no trouble with me she had only to do as she liked she began crying I changed my manners said all this was ridiculous she wanted a good whipping and I got her right I told her I must buy a rod and in truth I must not indulge her too much said I should take her by Hull to Rotterdam and Paris the end of next month and she made no objection

Out again at the pools puddling with Robert Mann + five - and with Booth about till Ann sent for me about her note to Miss Rawson and gave me Mrs. Sutherland's letter received last night, to read - sat about 1/2 hour with Ann with Mr. Gray at the poll - then off with Robert Mann to Hipperholme quarry and there at 2

Mr. Jubb called and brought Mr. Longdon the steam kitchen apparatus man from Sheffield going to put up the Steam Kitchen at the Infirmary Ann sent off George with the ponies to the Hipperholme quarry, and I rode home - back at 3 - just saw Mr. Longdon for 10 minutes ordered in wine and left him - his apparatus from £100 to £150 complete

Ann rode to Cliff hill - and I sat in my room dozing till out again at 4 - with Robert Mann and co. rocking up against the puddle the new pool till dinner at 7 - Mr. Gray had been all the day with Mawson's 5 men at the foundation walls of the boat-house

Had Gledhill between 4 and 5 p.m. for taxes but said I had not money enough in the house to pay him

Ann and little Mary and Mr. Gray went to the meer at 8 1/2 for above an hour Mr. Gray towed little Mary the whole length of the water on a raft formed of the 2 large timbers that had formed the run

Came in at 9 3/4 - coffee read the paper - Ann and I came up to bed at 10 35/60

Very fine day - Fahrenheit 59 1/2 at 10 3/4 p.m. then wrote all the above of today.

Letter tonight from Messrs. Sturgess charging £5 for their engineer's time and coming over - (useless) about the coal steam-engine and Inclined plane - sorry I forgot my note to Messrs. Alexander tonight.  

WYAS: SH:7/ML/E/20/0083

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Thursday 18 April 1839

Wednesday 13 March 1839

Thursday 29 May 1834