Thursday 28 July 1836

No kiss

Fine morning – highish wind and Fahrenheit 60 at 7 35/60 a.m. at which hour went out

The 2 York joiners were boarding up the top of the housekeeper’s bedroom – they had not cased the beam – so stopt them and had what they had done taken down and the beam cased – not their fault – Mr. Husband himself did not like the look of the job and I had to make an alteration which has improved the look so much – about 1 or 3/4 of a day’s work lost

Had Charles and James Howarth putting up temporary gate at the Lodge – hanging the used Whiskum gate that they had repaired and taking measure for new gate into the Paddock (Godley top field) David Booth and 1 man at the cellar – 4 men taking out stuff for cellar under the west tower Matthew, Richard, Samuel and Benjamin and Wood and Jack Green finishing putting gravel on about the pool and jobbing there in the morning &c – in the afternoon setting these biggish stones, set one there in the morning, so as to finish up at the lowest part of the rock work – and in the afternoon had Mark Hepworth 3 Northgate carts one house carts (and my own) and John Booth and Richard and Matthew and Benjamin to fill and get all the dunghill from under the lime tree into the Paddock – Mark Hepworth got it out of the carts, and Samuel Booth spread what he could

Breakfast at 9 in 3/4 hour – then set off to meet Dobson at Upper Place quarry at 10 – took Ann with me up Pump Lane as far as Barraclough cottage and then returned with her as far as Pump which made it near 11 before I got to the quarry

Dobson went with me to Little marsh shewed me where he thought the hole should be opened and I agreed – we called at the house – Mrs. widow Hall in her bed – brought to bed of a daughter – has now 6 girls and a boy – told her daughter to explain why I called and Dobson said he would speak to her – Dobson to begin the hole on Monday next – to keep a regular account debtor and creditor – he Dobson sinks the hole for me. If Ainsworth has nothing to do with it – it is better Dobson and me – hopes the hole will be done so as to shew the stone sufficiently for letting in 2 or 3 months – I at liberty to let the stone as I like – no way bound to Dobson

On leaving Hall saw Wombersley mending up his wall against me – long talk – mentioned that would now be another quarry to let and I intended letting the farm with it – Worthington said he would bid for them both – tired of where he is Mrs. Maclain’s farm - pays 50 guineas a year the house in very bad repair and she will lay nothing out 24 Day Work of which 8 at the top of Beacon hill 3 a Delf Hill and worth nothing the farm not worth more than £40 per annum – paid £60 at first but the stone quarry at 1/6 per yard very reasonable

Looked into the hole Freeman made in Little Marsh land – Worthington valued the stone now shewn, but it is where it is skirting out, at 3/6 per yard – shewed me into house – thought the farm worth £1500 and the coal worth £20 per Day Work owned there would be £200 or £300 to lay out immediately so that as I said £1500 quite enough to give for the farm – said I would give Mrs Maclain that and pay her 4 per cent for the money if she liked – or I would buy the coal at a reasonable price – but what I offered Mr. Rawson was sure to offer more tho’ he did not come down with the money – talked of his buying Samuel Hall’s coal – Worthington did not seem to know that Samuel Hall could sell it during his life – Worthington said I ought to buy the field Haigh was quarrying up to Joseph Hall’s – it would farm nicely with Joseph Hall’s – 6 Day Work all the stone get – belongs to Miss Shann of Tadcaster now living at Thorparch – the coal would suit me – I merely said Mr. Rawson ought to buy it

Home at 12 – found Flather and Benjamin Fletcher waiting for me – had not taken David Booth to see what he wanted – preferred seeing me 1st – wanted me to promise new house and barn – which 1 declined – said I would do what was reasonable – get water to the place if I could, and put the place in good repair – but would promise nothing more till David Booth brought me an estimate of what was wanted and what it would cost – said however that I was satisfied with the man’s character and had no doubt of our agreeing

Then with Ann she rode went to Cliff hill soon after 2 having walked with me to the Lodge and I went to Mark Hepworth in the paddock – he said each cart brought 1 square yard of manure and 1 square yard = 1 ton worth 6/6 at Halifax and 1/- per ton carting from there to the paddock – he would put 8 loads on a Day Work thought I was laying on about 1/2 that – too thin – I said I would have no more laid on there the dunghill from under the lime tree – I guessed there would be 30 loads – Mark thought 17 – It seems there were 28 loads Mark said they reckoned 3/6 per Day Work spreading – the paddock would take one man 6 Days – this manuring ought to last 2 years – Halifax stuff necessary stuff, would always force a crop but worth nothing after the 1st year – Mark would not pay anything for it for tenant-right as tillage – valued the fog at £3 tho’ I said the paddock was 4 Day Work owned he had paid Hannah 50/- last year for 3 Day Work of fog not 1/2 as good as this – would have cater it off for a week before putting on the manure, but I wanted the manure out of the way – he said it would be fit to turn into in 4 or 5 weeks from this time – I said the manure should be spread tomorrow – I should value it at 20/- per Day Work

With Wood and Jack at the pool – the Low fish leaks as much as ever could mean the water escapes from this end about 1/2 way between the cistern and 1st sycamore tree – the water 6 or 8 inches lower than at 3 p.m. yesterday

Came in at 6 3/4 – dinner at 6 50/60 – coffee – sat talking to Ann then both asleep till about 9 – then, the 20 minutes in the drawing room with my aunt, wrote all the above of today till 10 10/60

Note (Letter) tonight from Mr. Adam – Mr. Parker from home – thinks I mistook his note of yesterday – he is in doubt about the £800 thinks Mr. Graham should get an opinion before any money is paid – will write to Mr. Turner to get an opinion

Sat down stairs with Ann in the north dining room from 10 10/60 till 10 40/60 reading the newspaper

Fine but dullish day and showers between 5 and 6 – Fahrenheit 60 now at 10 40/60 p.m. rainy night at 11.  

WYAS: SH:7/ML/E/19/0082 & SH:7/ML/E/19/0083

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Thursday 18 April 1839

Wednesday 13 March 1839

Thursday 29 May 1834