Thursday 15 June 1837

Fahrenheit 63 and very fine morning and out at 7 55/60

At the meer with Robert and Sam and Jack and John Holmes – the latter sent home with Zebedee who took the planks to the Lodge to form the run again for the Lodge stuff moving – Robert and the other 3 men took up and planted hollies about the new clowhouse

Came in to breakfast at 9 1/2 in and out and breakfast in about 1/2 hour till about 10 1/2

Just saw Ann about 8 to tell her John Booth was taking the fixtures (fire grates) to Hill top – Mr. Horner not come – a little after 10 before I had breakfasted Miss Briggs called on Ann and was admitted – did not ask for me

Ann wrong as ever and I think more and seriously of being off came to my room about ten and a half and had a motion bowel open then sat musing and looking at road map of France to spend next winter cheaply and improvingly at Montpellier settle all and be off as soon as I can be perfectly civil and properly attentive to Ann and shew I'll do the rest to help on our quiet parting it is a mesaliance to me the sooner I am quietly rid of her the better I wish it was over at this moment I am pothered and feverish mais tout se passera – Il faut prendre les souvenirs pour les esperances – see the end of this volume the reference

Wrote the above of today till 11 3/4 – and then ate 1/2 dozen oranges

Booth began this morning doing the footway flagging up to and along to the house in the court yard morning

From 11 3/4 to 3 1/4 read over the whole (except merely skimmed the obituary and political part) of the Gentleman's Magazine for this month and wrote to go tonight note in answer to that received this day-week, to ‘John Waterhouse Esquire Well-head’ compliments inclosing a ten pounds Yorkshire District Bank note being my subscription towards the expenses incurred by the Registration committee – and directed also to go tonight the order secured from the Bank yesterday afternoon for £31.3.11 payable at Leeds to ‘Messrs. Robert Harrison and Co. Timber merchants Leeds’ and brought down my business Letter Book to this time, having copiied into the 2 last entries before those of today

Read to turn my mind from this miserable business about I wish it was over I see it will pother me more than it ought but I will take it as well as I can I feel as my hand was trembling though it is not in reality she is gone I suppose to Cliff Hill she has not attempted coming near me nor have I troubled her since eight when she seemed queer Miss Hannah Heap must see that all is not right and so must everyone in the house nobody here will be sorry? with more effort I might have gone on till little Mary was gone? it fidgets me would that it were over I must exert myself settle my affairs and be quietly off

Washed and – out again having just written the last 20 lines now at 3 50/60 and went out – at the Lodge with Robert + 5 moving stuff from near the ash-place to the Embankment below the Lodge against the road – went in to see Matty for 1/4 hour or 20 minutes – Mawson at the road for some time – his cart bringing stone and one breaking them – Robert said they were moving at the rate of 40 yards cube per day – he saw Mr. Harper pass in the mail towards York – Had Joseph Mann on coming home at 6 3/4 for 2 trespass papers John Bottomleys field for Whiskum road and had him again after dinner for 10 minutes about Hill top well – no water – very hard stuff – obliged to be got with gun-powder – went into the cellar

Dinner at 7 1/4 – told Ann Robert had seen Mr. Harper pass but she making no answer any further attempt at conversation was let alone – coffee at 8 1/2 – I took up the last (2nd) number of the Church Quarterly Review – Ann took up a book also and then fell fast asleep on the sofa – a good fire made the room

I went out into the hall then stood musing about the ceiling in my uncle's room till saw Ann pass to bed about 9 1/2 – soon afterwards opened the letter (it came late tonight) and sat reading the paper downstairs till 10 50/60 at which hour Fahrenheit 57

Note from Mr. Waterhouse this evening respectful compliments and thanks for the £10 – very fine day

Foolish Ann is Susan waited and must have noticed her not answering me at dinne[r] little Mary did not come in at all I saw Ann crying after dinner before leaving the dining room but I did not seem to notice it what a temper

WYAS: SH:7/ML/E/20/0076

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Thursday 18 April 1839

Wednesday 13 March 1839

Thursday 29 May 1834