Monday 1 August 1836

No kiss

Fine morning and Fahrenheit 51 1/2 at 8 1/4 a.m.

Out about the house and planning with Mr. Husband and Booth the preserve closet in the cellar – Wood and Matthew and Samuel and Jack at sinking for west-tower cellar but Jack poorly and went home between 10 and 11 very soon after 10 Joseph Mann sent us one of his men in the afternoon

Breakfast at 9 1/4 in about 3/4 hour – afterwards about – heard Ann her French at 10 40/60 – at my desk at 11

From 11 10/60 to 2 40/60 wrote 2 half sheets full to Lady Gordon and 3 pages and ends (ends very small and close) to Lady Vere Cameron

Thanks to Lady Gordon for saving me from the pother of Domenico Ferrari – I have know 2 or 3 hop-on-my-thumb hot-headed Italians – had forgotten my prejudices on this chapter, till reminded by Lady Gordon’s letter – out of love with Italians – mention Fischer much lauded – and the Swiss recommended to Lady Stuart de Rothesay – ‘sous tous les rapports’ – waiting to hear more from the Swiss – the speaking German is of importance to me – much disappointed at not seeing Lady Gordon as I had hoped – nothing certain ici bas – but think of being off (if not prevented on my aunt’s account) in November or as early as maybe in December and have offered to engage my courier from 1 November - think of Rome and Naples – only to be a year ahead of Lady Gordon i.e. she talks of going next year, - perhaps we shall meet somewhere – where shall we meet at Cadiz? ….. my aunt seems likely to rally again

Very kind (affectionate) letter to Lady Vere Cameron – reproached myself for having been so long in writing – hoped to have dined with her on the 12th or 13th ultimo – till then waited to make day and hour – since then too anxious and unsettled to write anything beyond what was absolutely necessary – no quiet leisure nowadays – think of her not seldom – my heartfelt interest in that concerns her and my affectionate regard still the same as ever – and this the day she told me she expected to be in her bed – hope all is over – that she has another boy and that she and the child are go on prosperously – still hope to see her at Brafield House – hope to be off in November or December – mention the want of housekeeper footman and gardener if anybody will get me a housekeeper that will enable to offer an eatable dinner I shall be ready for Vere here before she will be ready for me at Achnacary

After finishing my letters crept out of my study nobody finding I had been there all this while came in as if I had been out

Somewhile with Ann saw her off to Cliff hill at 3 – then out with Chris Howarth and Booth and about and then with Joseph Mann at the Long goit  - 40 yards of throw or gall, and still no end of it – till came in at 6 1/2

Sealed and sent my letters to ‘the Lady Vere Cameron, Brafield-house, Oulney, Bucks’ and to ‘Lady Duff Gordon’ under cover to ‘Sir Alexander Duff Gordon Treasury Chambers’ and under cover again to ‘A. Y. Spearman Esquire Treasury, London’

Dinner at 7 – coffee – Ann did her French till 9 3/4 – then with my aunt till a little after 10

Wrote all but the 1st lines of today till 11 at which hour Fahrenheit 51 - very heavy shower at 11 a.m. and heavyish shower between 12 and 1 – but finish day very windy, on the whole – high wind now at 11 p.m. – what cold, rainy, windy weather we have had of late!  

WYAS: SH:7/ML/E/19/0084 & SH:7/ML/E/19/0085

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Thursday 18 April 1839

Wednesday 13 March 1839

Friday 23 May 1834