Sunday 3 November 1839

More snow in the night? apparently a little more on the roofs - fine but dull morning Fahrenheit 62 1/2 now at 9 1/2 on my table and Reaumur +1 = about Fahrenheit 34 1/2

At English Russian grammar till breakfast at 9 3/4 to 10 40/60

At church in 5 minutes 3 minutes before 11 - waited 10 minutes - Mr. Camidge preached 1/2 hour from 1 Philippians 3 to 6 - goodish sermon - just returned home and put on our cloaks and then to the boulevard to walk - Ann and I took 4 turns from 12 57/60 to 1 14/60 - I then to a turn by myself in 6 minutes - then along the 2 other boulevards down to the Kremlin and home at 2

Dressed for dinner and wrote the last 5 lines till now 3 40/60 - the Countess Alexandra Panin had called just after we went out to walk - at 3 40/60 had the Russian girl 52 minutes till 4 32/60 and then Ann had her - at Russian grammar till dinner at 6 in about 3/4 hour

Mrs Howard came up just before to say the Princess Radziville would be glad to make our acquaintance and as she was an invalid would be glad our paying her a visit - said if it was convenient to her I would go at 8 - awkward to present myself and Ann too - messaging back that Princess Radziville would be glad to see us at 8, to tea

Ann in tears and all wrong at my going without her long talk about it got her right and she went with me

Very pleasant evening - went at 8 and staid just 1 1/2 hour - tea about 9 or 8 3/4 - the countess something and her daughter came to tea - the princess a very agreeable clever stylish person - everything very nice - but unfortunately she goes to her father and mother to be with them here in Moscow till December when she goes to St. Petersburg - very civil

Somehow I have rusticated so long I feel dissatisfied with myself Ann with all her shyness had more real enjoyment than I had I know enough to make me uncomfortable and too little to set me at ease and then Ann is so low and narrow in her views about our finances that i cannot count upon anything and I sometimes say to myself perhaps it is happiest to lize [sic] and die at Shibden the world fo[r]getting by the world forgot if I had a clea[r] two thousand a year of my own methinks it would be different but we are all short sighted mortals and know not what is good for us oh lord be with me and help me and be merciful to me a sinner

Fine day Fahrenheit 62 1/2 now at 10 40/60 on my table - and +1/2 Reaumur = about Fahrenheit 33 - about 1/2 hour with Ann  

WYAS: SH:7/ML/E/23/0119

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Thursday 18 April 1839

Wednesday 13 March 1839

Thursday 29 May 1834