Monday 8 April 1839

Fine morning - frosty Fahrenheit 40 inside and 38 outside at 8 1/4 a.m. - breakfast at 8 3/4 in about 1/2 hour

Then about and looking over tax papers &c. till 11 3/4 then wrote as follows to 'Mr. Jubb, Lord Street' - 'Mrs. Lister will be glad to see Mr. Jubb anytime today after half past four in the afternoon Shibden hall. Monday morning 8 April 1839' - and sent off George the groom with it immediately and with the Waterhouse charity cup, and note to 'Charles Norris Esquire Halifax' Compliments - sorry I did not before know that the cup ought to be returned - it was a Halifax cup descending from one of my great uncles to my uncle late of Northgate house since whose death, upwards of 21 years ago, the cup had never been used except as a sacramental cup - 'Miss Walker begs Mrs Lister to inform Mr. Norris she has no remembrance of having even seen a Waterhouse cup either at Crownest or Cliff hill'

Ann and I filled up our Assessed taxes returns to send them and our last 1/2 years assessment (the preceding 1/2 of the last year ending 5 April 1839 having been paid by Samuel Washington in our absence) by George this afternoon while Ann shall be at Cliff hill

'Tis now 12 1/4 - then with Ann at luncheon till 12 50/60 then wrote out index to this volume while she lay down on my bed close beside me

Was just riding off to Cliff hill at 2 when Isaac Hemingway came to shew Ann his valuation of tenant right and fixtures = £20 odd - +£3 for the shed which Hemingway thinks he will not take but let Booth take it away - Hemingway very well satisfied with the valuation which is indeed as far as I can judge very fair - a private matter between Hemingway and Booth - Hemingway wished Ann to inform Captain and Mrs. Sutherland that his father would take the low field stone on the same terms as he (Isaac) agreed (if he could agree for it) for Lister's quarry - and his father would engage to get 400 yards a year

Left Hemingway to drink his beer, and got Ann off to Cliff hill at 2 20/60

I wrote the last 8 lines and finished index down to this time

The taxes must be paid tomorrow - Ann must be back by 4 1/2 for fear of Mr. Jubb's coming therefore not time to send George to Brookfoot this afternoon

Went out at 2 3/4 - no! at 2 55/60 - to Listerwick - one of the Lowmoor men there but doing nothing - the Engineer, Mr. Lowrie, had persuaded Mr. Hird that nothing more was required - I saw the workman who civilly told me this, seeming sorry about it, and wishful to do what Mr. Holt wanted - I said there was no blame attached to the workmen - I must have Mr. Holt satisfied - I should see him and now that Mr. Hird was convinced nothing more needed be done, I concluded he had given the job up, and I could easily get all done that was required - the man wished me to write to Mr. Hird - no! I said I had given the management of the thing to Mr. Holt, and I should not interfere - but that I expected Mr. Harper, and should if necessary take his advice and that of an Engineer - that I really could not be kept waiting so unreasonably - the man seemed quite aware of this and very sorry for it - said I was in great fear of accident

David Mann was in the pit, and sent up the 1st. corve of coal pulled by the engine at 3 1/2 while I stood by the Lowmoor man working the drum - then some while with Robert Mann and Ben and Thomas Sharp (Rachel's father) filling waterwheel Engine Pit scale, my own 3 horses and George Naylor's 2 carting it as on Saturday morning - Jack Green following after the carts

Home at 4 1/4 - Ann returned from Cliff hill - Mr. Jubb came about 5 for 1/4 hour - will give Ann pills calomel colocynth and a carbonate to dissolve, make them pass off better - she is starved to death - ought to take 3 or 4 glasses of wine a day and live well - will come again to see her on Wednesday. He saw the kitchenmaid who has a bad eye - wants physic and a lotion and is going away on Saturday

Edward Waddington and a man and boy had been the whole day finishing walling the doorway more than 1/2 done on Saturday from hall closet into passage. and walling single brick under the stoothing between the little breakfast room and passage, and laying about (not more) 4 yards square of brick (another i.e. 4th. course) up to the South front door, and barrowing on to the remainder of the passage 3 inches thick covering of engine ashes, all which I made John Booth barrow off again and sent George Thomas off to Hipperholme (Booth I suppose got there today) to tell Booth to stop his men for tomorrow and come here himself - I intend to have more brick got for the passage - cannot take my own cart from the scale - cannot pull down the drying closet in the laundry tomorrow because they will be ironing there tomorrow - Mark Hepworth's 2 horse cart here all today bringing engine ashes from Mr. Haigh's mill for the passage and for the terraces - Sam Booth and Robert Fielding filling as I supposed - but I found Robert at his fire engine at Listerwick Pit at 2 1/4

Had sat with Ann from the time of coming in (4 1/4 to 5) reading aloud Mitford's Greece volume i. from page 45 to 63 - afterwards about in the house - dressed - dinner at 7 10/60 - Ann read French - coffee - no newspaper

Had just written the last 31 lines now at 9 3/4 p.m. - read forward to page 77 volume 1. Mitford's Greece - came upstairs at 10 35/60 at which Fahrenheit 39 inside and 32 outside fine but very cold day - cold east wind as for several days past - Ann took two of Mr Jubbs pills  

WYAS: SH:7/ML/E/23/0016 & SH:7/ML/E/23/0017

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Thursday 18 April 1839

Wednesday 13 March 1839

Thursday 29 May 1834