Wednesday 1 November 1837

Damp hazy rainy morning Fahrenheit 38 now at 9 20/60 and breakfast in about 1/2 hour - then sat (in the breakfast room) till after 12 reading from page 201 to within 4 or 5 pages of the end of volume 6 (read to the end after coffee) Indian Antiquities

Called off to Empsall butcher came to thank me for allowing him to turn sheep into the Mytholm Ings (said I could not say for how long - perhaps till Christmas I would let him know) and to ask to turn a little pony in for a fortnight from this time - refused at 1st - consented at last - asked if he would still like to have a farm if I had one to spare - he did not know - yes! but not far from Halifax - should I wish him to live on the farm? yes! I had not one at liberty at present but knew not what I might have - he would like to be let know of it - to have the 1st refusal - if I had - I should want a blue vote - would not let to anyone who would not give me one

Then a little while with Ann at her luncheon in the breakfast room and then called off to Robert Mann and with him + 3 (his son David Mann and Jack Green and Michael) all the afternoon siding tram rails and sleepers out of the posthouse stable and taking up paving &c. &c. all ready for filling up and raising the floor to the level of the present cowhouse

Came in a little before six - a few minutes with Ann dressing - wrote and sent tonight by Sam Booth letter to 'Mrs. Thompson Register Office Coney Street, York, Postage Paid' to say I had Mr. Clough's answer last night - William Rennie had left Mr. Clough's service some months ago and taken the situation of valet with a gentleman going abroad therefore Mr. Clough did not give William Rennie's character but referred me to the gentleman in question - I begged Mrs. Thompson to inform William Rennie I should not make further inquires respecting him - hoped I had no need to trouble Mrs. Thompson to look out for another footman at present

Left my letter to Ann to seal and went down to Mr. Wheatley - had not heard the horse cough - might stay 2 or 3 hours and not hear him - would I send him down to Wheatley's stables at 9 a.m. and let him stay till the following morning? and then Wheatley could say whether he should send a note - agreed

Dinner at 7 10/60 immediately after Wheatley went - coffee about 8 - Ann read French I read the London paper (morning Herald) - Ann cold and we returned to the dining room after coffee

Came upstairs after 10 and wrote the whole of today till 10 50/60 at which hour Fahrenheit 36 1/2 rainy day and evening

John Booth went home early on Monday morning and has not been here since - Sam Booth has done his work and slept here the last 2 nights and sleeps here tonight.  

WYAS: SH:7/ML/E/20/0153

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Thursday 18 April 1839

Wednesday 13 March 1839

Thursday 29 May 1834