Thursday 29 June 1837

Very fine morning looking over the sent list Samuel Washington left with Ann for me yesterday - Fahrenheit 68 now at 7 3/4 and went out - home sat with Ann in the north parlour 1/2 then out at the pools till breakfast at 8 3/4 in about 3/4

Then out and out all the day chiefly at the pools with Robert Mann and co. at the meer with Mr. Gray from 12 to 1 he busy all the day with Mawson's 5 men building foundation walls of boat-house - my 2 carts fetching bricks in the morning (3 times) and home at 2 and at 4 p.m. I met them at Hipperholme quarry to choose for each a load of large flags for flooring the meer

Back at the pools at 5 1/2 and there till dinner at 7 10/60 - afterwards with little Mary and Mr. Gray at the meer till came in at 9 1/4

Ann had made coffee but did not take any - she seemed in right humour at first but soon fell off she had lost the storeroom key this afternoon and got my key and I had joked a little about scolding me for taking it away too soon did this annoy her it being at coffee before Mr Gray?

Sat down stairs reading the paper and my letter that came tonight from Mr. N. Alexander 'for Partner and self' 2 2/3 pages offering me Mr. Rawson's 'colliery and concerns at Swanbanks' at a fair price 'which he thinks he thinks himself called upon both as a neighbour and a gentleman to offer' to me!!!

Had a sundry parcel of books tonight from Whitley's and stood looking into them in my study till 11 3/4 - then came to my room and found on my desk a note from Ann as follows little one is very much obliged to you for all you have done for it but it will be still more obliged if you will give it back its promise and let it go away from here Shibden Hall June twenty ninth I cannot say I am either much surprised or annoyed she would not go abroad now on account of her aunt how cunning she is I have long suspected she meditated getting off as well as she could what will become of her? Mariana L ways warning so to manage that I could do without Ann perhaps nobody will be surprised at her going - how nicely she lets me get rid of her what shall I do write to her sister? I must be off abroad? or stay as I sometime thought off till February how calmly I feel now that she herself has decided the matter is she quite herself?

Wrote all the above of today till 12 20/60 - very fine day - Fahrenheit 55 at 11 p.m. 

WYAS: SH:7/ML/E/20/0083

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Thursday 18 April 1839

Wednesday 13 March 1839

Thursday 29 May 1834