Saturday 21 October 1837

Finish hazy soft morning Fahrenheit 49 at 8 a.m. out till breakfast with Ann at 9

On going to bed last night Ann seemed not urgent against going to Paris for a month after Christmas but had asked where the money was to come from saying I hoped soon to have done with workmen and adding something insignificant I scarce know what about the alterations she did not speak what said I gently have you nothing to say answer no nothing I stood silent a minute or two and then without uttering came to my room on getting into bed she was not asleep but seemed so and I took no notice but fell asleep by and by is a wall was not right at breakfast but I talked as nearly as possible as usual - out all the morning till about one and a half then came and sat a little with Ann talked as far as I could as if nothing was the matter then came way to send John to the bank and had Booth &c. and found Ann gone to Cliff hill how all this pothers me! I have several times laughed and said she must keep her pony must allow me a thousand a year for everything is she afraid or tired of me or what? why should I be so pothered can solitude or anything be worse? I have thought against and for Mr Parker as my steward and manager will he not be better than Washington? who had best remain to Ann I feel in thraldom

Out all the morning - about met Holt about 11 1/2 - went with him to Airgate pit - Joseph Mann and Holmes began throwing it out this morning

Aquilla Green passed by - stopt him respecting the corn mill agreement - he behaved very handsomely about it - said I must do the best I could for myself - he promised to see Mr. Parker on the subject and I hope the matter will be at an end - stood talking it seemed an hour in the yard - about the mill - the wheel not anything &c. &c. Aquila Green thinks the buckets wrong - I must lay out £1500 more and then let the mill for did he not say £300 again - said the water and wheel had already cost me £2000 (he guessed £1500) but I did not will him to make this - he mentioned Henry Bates as understanding wheels, and doing all theirs (Green's and Kershaw's work) - I said I had had several estimates and plans, mentioned Matthew Naylor's and its circumstances, but if Henry Bates would give his opinion and what he thought would mend the wheel, and charge not more than a guinea I should be glad of his considering over I mentioned he sent me in a year ago for estimating - Aquila Green to get me a good tenant for 16 to 20 frames if he could - he said he knew many spinners and would mention the mill - said his barn wanted a little repainting - answer David Booth should look after and do it - Aquila Green mentioned ground near Baily hall for a corn mill - a thousand yards would hardly be enough - I said he could not expect to get it for less than a thousand pounds - he thought it not worth more than 10/6 a yard - I said his best way would be to write to Captain Sutherland at once making a handsome spirited offer at once, if he Aquila Green thought right so to do - he must remember that dealing with gentries was different from dealing with tradesmen and haggling would not answer

In returning stopt at the Little Engine Pit David Mann (Joseph's brother) just setting in the drift to go to Listerwick pit beginning in the upper bed for about 5 yards and then hopes to get underneath the hard seat-stone - went down into the pit - Chambered to just below the upper bed i.e. to the depth of 20 yards from the surface - went down - in a corve - came up standing on the clatch irons - a man standing by observing he never saw any one so hard in his life

The stream of water (the dead water) running down Long goit = 18 inches broad by 5 inches deep - upper bed nice looking coal just 2 feet thick - if the middle bed 11 inches thick = 3 loads per yard supposing 3 1/2 inches thick = 1 load therefore 24 inches thick = 5 1/2 loads per yard home at 1 1/2

And sat 1/2 hour with Ann then wrote and sent note enclosing check for £100 to 'Mr. Mackan, Yorkshire District Bank, Halifax' by John Booth

Had David Booth and Mr. Hainsworth with his note = £127 + for stone chiefly for garden - said it was not fair - but rendered by he might bring it again the 1st Saturday in November - he owned it was not fair - but had a large payment to make

Found Ann gone before 3 - then till 3 3/4 wrote all the above of today

I am better for writing my journal I am better for writing my journal tho' my feet are wet and I begin to feel them cold - Life is exertion - Deo volente, the ship may right again

Out (about) from 3 50/60 to 6 1/4 having had Booth with Parkinson the last - In fact out 1/4 hour till after 6 while settled what should be paid

Dressed at 6 1/2 - on coming in to Ann after she shewed me a card that had been left 'by 'William Wilby general Common merchant and exporter of genuine port wine, Oporto ...... goods to be consigned to him or to 'Mr. John Wilby, of Lisbon' - Ann made no remark - I concluded the man wanted an order for wine - he called again about 5 to speak to me about the hotel or to learn of when he should make inquiries - told Mrs, Oddy who brought me the message to refer him to Mr. Parker, and I went on talking to Robert Mann + 2 sodding the lowest slope under the tower west windows

Dinner at 7 5/60 in 1/2 hour - then coffee in the north parlour and sat reading Travels in Spain and Portugal volume 2 till  upstairs

Time in the blue room - read the newspaper and burnt several months cousin papers till ten then till eleven reading Brunton's Compendium of Mechanics.

Letter tonight from Mrs Thompson Register office for servants Coney Street York - William Rennie  (who lived with Miss Grimstone) will take the £20 for the 1st year, and never more than 20 guineas wrote 2 half sheets full about 1/2 the last page to Lady Vere Cameron - till two 

WYAS: SH:7/ML/E/20/0148 & SH:7/ML/E/20/0149

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Thursday 18 April 1839

Wednesday 13 March 1839

Thursday 29 May 1834