Saturday 14 October 1837

Very fine frosty morning but sun shining and Fahrenheit 54 at 9 and breakfast with Ann and Mr. Gray in about 1/2 hour for Mr. Sowden came and had to wait nearly all the time

Had him in the little breakfast room from about 9 1/2 or 9 3/4 to 10 1/4 - came about his rent - had seen Mr. Samuel Washington and proposed paying £80 instead of 70 guineas = an advance of £6.10.0 - said I was not acting for myself - thought the advance of £10 really fair; and it ended by Mr. Sowden's 'he must fall into my will' and he agreed to pay £83 per annum - talked of Walterclough mill - Sowden no mechanic but thought there was some miscalculation for the new wheel instead of having more power had less than the old one and took more water instead of less - said I could understand - my Listerwick wheel by the same wheelwright (George Bates) firm of Messrs. Timothy Bates and son, wrong speeded - 12 frames at Waterclough mill - but not water enough now - and a very Bad place for hands - not worth so much per frame as at Shibden mill - farther from Halifax and worse to get to - his sons pay £18 per frame where they now are near Brighouse - said I thought of having a mill of 20 frames - could his sons afford to pay £19 per frame at Listerwick

A little while with Ann and went out about 10 1/2 - with Gray he had a letter last night - his father-in-law very anxious to see him - thinks of being off at 8 a.m. tomorrow - 'tis well - he will therefore have to come again - said I should lay up for the winter as soon as I could, and merely clear off nuisances and leave all the rest till next spring

Then had Samuel Washington told him to settle all with Mawson - he had put the stuff moving at 11d per yard which would not come to as much as the bills sent in and charged by day - said I should say nothing to Mawson beyond the remark that the other party would have done it for 8 1/2d per yard and stood to their bargain whether they lost by it or not - but I should in future have nothing done but under written agreement - Mawson had served me this trick before about stuff shifting from the Lodge, and I had myself to blame this time but should perhaps manage better in future

Came upstairs about 11 1/4 - wrote the above of today.

Reckoned up the time Mr Gray has been here = from Monday 19 June to Sunday 15 October = 17 weeks at ten pounds = one hundred and seventy - have just written so far now at 11 50/60 - from then to 1 35/60 at colliery accounts - settling all my Colliery books Joseph Mann's also up to today

Then had Baldwin( slater) and Culpan, and Mawson, and Blythe and settled with them

Some time with Ann and in and out till she rode off to Cliff hill about, near, 4 - afterwards out with Mr. Gray and Booth and Robert Mann

The arched top stone around the flower garden cistern put up this afternoon (the masons staid till near 6?) but the thing not near finished settling about laundry court wall, garden wall, &c. &c. - Mr. Gray told me he had never yet been able to lead out of any one of my own plans - no! perhaps not - but I am sure you are better satisfied to have worked out my ideas than those 1st proposed by yourself - to this he at last seemed to agree - but said he never should have dared to propose doing so much

Came in at 5 3/4 and had the 2 Manns till 7 50/60 - Holt had not mentioned my new plan to Joseph Mann when he saw him yesterday but merely asked for how much he would phey 140 yards in the upper bed coal, not saying whereabouts I explained - Joseph said we might drive a drift direct from the Little Engine Pit and thus save 12 yards of pumping and have only 12 yards to pump, and 2 horse power would do this - all to be talked over on Monday

Dressed dinner at 8 - Coffee about 9 or after read the paper

Shewed Mr. Gray Mr. Harper's drawings (plans) of the place - Gray owned the great merit of drawings but still would have the kitchens on the East, gallery on the west adjoining the west tower, and tonight proposed putting kitchens and stables below the great East wall on the ground - I observed this would not do for the kitchens; but these might on the present intended site of gallery and the stables below - Paid Gray from Monday 19 June to tomorrow 15 October + 17 weeks at £10 = £170 in one 1 hundred one fifty and two tens Bank of England - Gray had talked at dinner of popping over from Leeds some Sunday to see what we were about - I very gently and civilly set this aside by saying, I should lay by for the winter immediately and do nothing but make things tidy - but should at anytime be glad to see him - and said afterwards I should do nothing - would not begin again till next spring or summer - but might plant in March.

Came upstairs at 11 20/60 at which hour Fahrenheit 43 very fine day - frosty

Putting away bills and looking at estate plan till 12 - for Joseph Mann had told me Mr. Clark was determined to begin getting coal in Dove house land as soon as he was of age - he had a right of water course down my wood and would set up an engine and pump the water down into the brook that way - I laughed and said whether he had a right or not, I should not perhaps try to prevent him - he could not do better than set up an engine and get what coal he could - nothing would serve my purpose better - Joseph Mann said they could pull over 10 colliers very well at Listerwick pit and 10 colliers ought to get 2 acres of coal and more - but did not think we could sell so much - but we could sell one acre and more

Then at accounts till 1 1/2 I have still twelve hundred and fifty in the bank

WYAS: SH:7/ML/E/20/0145 & SH:7/ML/E/20/0146

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Thursday 18 April 1839

Wednesday 13 March 1839

Thursday 29 May 1834