Monday 23 October 1837

Finish dullish morning Fahrenheit 50 at 8 25/60 out - with Robert Mann dressing off the front slope for the gardener and Joseph Booth and the other garden man sodding - took Jack Green from the glen-wall masking to the slope and sent Robert Mann to his son David + 1 at clearing away fallen road wall for foundation of new wall - 2 more of Roberts men at the flower garden drains - Michael not come - breakfast at 9

Ann not right for she saw me silent but she had seemed as if right in bed this morning and did not then find out that I should be grave tho what I did say and do was in the usual manner

Ann had order the ponies at 9 1/2 but was off (to Cliff hill) at 10 - George saddle Mangnall (1st time) and Ann the older pony - I watched Mangnall - far too skittish - and I cannot get out of my mind that his wind is not good - In fact this afternoon, George told me he was now afraid so too - he (the horse) quite 'roared' this morning - well! said I, you were all me - but now you are coming round to my opinion - I am sorry it is so like after wit, and little worth - Mr. Wheatley to be sent for to come tomorrow morning

Out all the day, in spite of the incessant tho' gentle rain from 10 to very near 6 - the Booth's masons all hewing from about 11 this morning and all the others, Nelson's and Parkinson's went home, Robert Mann's men all at home this afternoon - had Robert in the new room adjoining the laundry levelling for flagging and Samuel Booth helped him

Had Booth talking over coach house ceiling could be slate and spar-pointed for 2d per yard - 38 feet = 12 yards 2 feet say 13 yards long and suppose 3 yards height of roof = say 80 yards at 2d or as I afterwards thought to have it underdrawn within the spars 80 yards at 5d labour (little Rawson the plasterer here slate pointing laundry room) for which Rawson agreed to do it - Booth and I had calculated 3 twenty one feet planks at 12/- cut up into inch square 'screeds' to be nailed inside the spans and lathed to wood and sawing 30/- and lime, laths, nails, hair and all materials including the 30/- = 80 yards at 1/6

Sent the market for Ann at 4 3/4 - she back at 6 - told her I had sent for Wheatley that George now suspected Mangnall's wind - said if Ann had let me have my own way, I was sure I could have got her a horse - then finished dressing.

Had had Cookson before Ann came and was nearly dressed - asked Cookson after her mother, and if she would object at her going abroad - my going tho' so long delayed was by no means given up - It seemed that Cookson's mother very probably would object to her going! Cookson to inquire and let me know - I said it would of course be a disappointment to me to suppose all ready and then for Cookson to leave me - If she thought of not going with me, the sooner I know it the better

Wrote the above of today I had just done at 7 at which hour dinner

Engine Holt came this morning about 11 or before about the 6 horse power for Listerwick pit - went with him there and found Collier Holt there with Joseph Mann - set out the site of engine house - some thought of setting the engine in the bottom but Collier Holt much against it - would be so bad to get at after the Incline was completed and coal no longer pulled at Listerwick Pit otherwise a place 9 feet high 8 feet broad and 12 feet long would have done for the engine and as much more for the boiler - the engine to pump for itself - the boiler will hold 200 gallons and this quantity will be required in a little reservoir to fill the engine cistern with and set the engine going in a morning Engine Holt to give a plan of engine house and a statement of every expence of force pump &c. &c. the estimate given in some time of the engine to stand good - to be warranted for a year and ready a certain fixed time

Dinner from 7 to near 8 - coffee between 8 and 9 - Ann read French and afterwards she read Spain Portugal and Gallicia volume i and I volume 2 from page 120 to 183.

Rainy day - Fahrenheit 44 on our coming upstairs at 10 20/60  

WYAS: SH:7/ML/E/20/0150

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Thursday 18 April 1839

Wednesday 13 March 1839

Thursday 29 May 1834