Sunday 25 June 1837

I ate 8 oranges just before getting into bed last night and read 1st chapter pages 28 of  Maurice's Indian Antiquities - read this morning forward to page 47 - fine morning but dull and F62 1/2 now at 8 3/4 a.m. then read forward to page 79 and breakfast at 9 10/60 to 10 sat talking to Mr. Gray - we then went out to the pools - then to the meer - and did not come in till 12 3/4 

Ann walked to the school off about 8 1/2 a.m.

From 1 to 2 1/4 wrote 3 pages and 1 end to Mariana

Off to church took little Mary and Mr. Gray without stopping at the school on Cliff Hill, at 2 1/2 - Mr. Wilkinson did all the duty preached 18 minutes from 7 John v.17 - then about 3/4 hour at Cliff hill - Mrs. Ann Walker looking pretty well - much better than of late

Home at 5 3/4 wrote Mariana that my wonder at her being so long in writing had subsided since my hearing she was gone abroad and therefore I supposed to Wisbaden - 'Imagine therefore my disappointment to find you deeper than ever in responsibility about the school. Had it been in my power to help you out of it, I should have thought nothing or trouble for the furtherance of so desirable an object Have nothing to do with school-building schemes - I cannot help thinking, you had better study Dr. Young's grammar of Egyptian hieroglyphics than be bound up with his widow in all this responsibility - I know nothing of Lady Harberton, nor do I dispute that every situation in life will be more satisfactorily filled by those who have mind, supposing the power to be well applied, and that in improving the faculties we turn them towards useful propensities - but the supposing as to the application of the power, and the turn as to the propensities, will prove, I fear, to be a sort of hinges more difficult to manage than you are aware' - only heard yesterday of the arrival of the books at Halifax - could not send for them last night - will send tomorrow - her letter arrived on Wednesday - dated the 18th 'and you seemed then to suppose, How often are suppositions impositions!, that the Books might be already with me - they shall have 'a lodging' here, as you desire - waiting their own orders, or Should I survive their power to give any, waiting those of their will. But should I survive you or not, I see no reason to apprehend any mistake about the books, the history of which will be sufficiently clear - I am glad to hear Percy is grown, and that Mrs. Smith's account of her is so satisfactory' - why can they not remain at Moreton after October? and why not the alterations at Lawton done by the 1st of December the day of giving up their house at Leamington? you have only one job in hand, I have half a dozen - I have given up all thought of leaving home for the present - it would be too imprudent to go away till matters were a little more settled - the hotel is not yet fit for advertising - then there is the colliery, &c. &c. the truth is, I must stay at home for some months to come - I know not when I can get all - 'ask after Charles Norcliffe  Mariana's mother and sister Louisa and all the rest... 'I am always glad to hear all about them, and now that I know you are at home, I shall not make so many allowances as if you were on the Rhine - all are bad correspondents when on the continent? What are you thinking about the poor King's death our 'youthful queen'? so many general elections are 'terrible - I hope you will find the air of Lawton of service both to yourself and Percy. Ever affectionately and especially yours AL Anne Lister'

Wrote all but the 1st 4 1/2 lines of today till now 6 20/60 and sealed and put into the bag to go tonight my letter to 'Mrs. Lawton, Lawton hall, Lawton Cheshire'

Dinner at 6 3/4 - coffee at 8 had sat with Ann and lastly stupefied into sleeping on the sofa read a little of the paper. Ann came upstairs at 9 1/2 and I at 9 40/60 at which hour Fahrenheit 57 fine day

Ann sat with me from 9 3/4 to 10 1/4.  

WYAS: SH:7/ML/E/20/0081

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Thursday 18 April 1839

Wednesday 13 March 1839

Friday 23 May 1834