Saturday 24 June 1837

Lay on the bed from 6 10/60 to 7 20/60 - awoke at 4 1/4 - I had got up had I recollected at the moment that Robert Mann and co. meant to come at 5 a.m. and stay till 1 to make up the day so as to have the afternoon for the fair - great Saturday - I must go to the bank

Very fine morning very hot - Fahrenheit 69 now at 8 1/2 - sat reading till breakfast at 9 10/60 in about 1/2 hour Ann called off to Mr. Washington - saw him for a minute - has heard no more of the Holdsworth Godley cottage 

Out at the pools till 11 - meant to have gone to Halifax to the bank but Ann expected her navigation dividends in time

Sat reading from 11 to 2 except a minute or 2 with Mawson about 1 as to what should be done on Monday - all his job done at the meer except opposite the byewash and a bit of ornamental mounding near it - Mr. Gray and I to be at the meer very early on Monday and Mawson to keep on 6 of his men 

Ann came to me a little before two to say the dividends not paid today so I must go to Halifax mentioning a little tour abroad she cried should not like to go on account of her aunt should not like to be left unhappy to confine me thought me very impatient to be off said I had better give her back her promise and she would do as well as she could for and by herself much obliged for all I had done for her I said very little in answer and that very calmly and kindly she ought to speak candidly and never leave me without an answer at all I was only anxious to know what her wishes really were she left me to go down to Bancroft and I wrote all the above of today till 2 10/60 and read a page or 2 which brought me to the end of the Introduction cxxii pp. pages of Maurice's Indian Antiquities volume 1 - read this work about 20 years ago with great interest and much interested now - I must think what to do about Ann I shall have plenty more opportunities of being off

Off down the old bank to the bank at 2 20/60 got £70 then some while at Walton's (the sadler's) and paid my bill. In thanks Mr. Wortley will come in - then at Whitley's and paid my bill for books in full up to the present time - then sat 20 minutes with Greenwood looking very much better for going to Asperne near Doncaster for change of air - then returned up the old bank sauntered some time in the back Lodge road and came in at 4 50/60

Had Baldwin the slater and the 2 Manns till 6 Mr. Pollet having waited for me for some 1/2 hour - settled about the pentrough &c. to be done in a month from this date

Dinner at 7 5/60 - out with Mr. Gray at the pools till 9 50/60 then coffee  

WYAS: SH:7/ML/E/20/0080

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Thursday 18 April 1839

Wednesday 13 March 1839

Friday 23 May 1834