Sunday 17 July 1836

No kiss or washing 

Ready in an hour Fahrenheit 54 at 8 3/4 and dull windy morning – it rained at 7 1/2 – fair about 8 – breakfast at 9 to 10.

George asked me last night for a prayer book and small bible! – told him this morning that the bible was wanted before he gave warning – he begged pardon but assured me that it was after – very well! said I then I will not be less good than my word – you shall have a small bible and at the same time gave him 1 of Ann’s Society for Promoting Christian Knowledge small prayerbooks with their old verses of psalms in it. Said he had asked me last night if he might stay till he had got a place and I had said yes! – I must now explain that I meant for a reasonable time but he was not to remain here after I was gone – not to be here when I was away – I would give him till the 20th of next month and pay him wages till then but would not pay him any wages from any time not afterwards – the sooner he got a place the better – he might go any day if he could get a good place – might go tomorrow – Thought I had addressed or rather explained that I would pay him up to the 20th of next month if he stayed so long, but if not that I would pay him up to the time he did stay

Wrote the above of today till 10 1/2 and soon afterwards walked with Ann 1/2 hour in the garden – at accounts

Ann and I said prayers to my aunt in 25 minutes till 12 55/60. Ann staid a minute or 2 and I slept as I sat with the aunt in the drawing room, 1/2 hour – then staid 10 minutes skimming over yesterday’s Halifax Guardian newspaper – then Dressed – and then in my study looking into accounts till 2 5/60

Off to church then school at 1 50/60 – the good postboy is at the school in 20 minutes and waited above 1/2 hour at church

People about the house last night – trying to get into the house thro’ the door opened into the phaeton house from the parlour – Cookson aunt in bed when she heard them – sat up – odd enough that Ann and I never heard anything and knew nothing of it till told this morning

A stranger did all the duty very fairly. I omitted looking at my watch on his beginning his sermon but thought he preached about 20 minutes – not longer from 1 Corinthians xiii. 1.

3/4 hour at Cliff hill. Mrs Ann Walker in good humour and spirits – more cheerful and chatty than usual – home at 5 55/60 

Wrote to ‘Mr Braithwaite George Coney Street York Post Paid to ask if he or his head waiter knew of a footman likely to suit me – not under 25 – also to write and keep accounts – steady and respectable to be left at home if more convenient to me to leave him than take him abroad – having lived under a butler in good families, - should be glad if Mrs Braithwaite or any of their friends knew of a cook-house keeper and house maid likely to suit me – showed the letter to Ann she wished me to delay it till tomorrow

Not right about it inable as usual to decide I took it rather displeasedly and she came r[o]und before coffee

Dinner at 6 1/2 - coffee - out Ann and I in the walk at the Lodge, from 8 to 9 1/2 – I out alone till 10 – wished my aunt good night – John Booth in bed – called him up and kept him till 11 loading my little gun and pistol and trying to fire – nothing would fire but 1 of my trap pistols and 1 horse pistol out of 6 pistols and a gun – powder damp – no! John to take the things? to Turner tomorrow

Fine but cold day – high wind all day.   

WYAS: SH:7/ML/E/19/0076

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Thursday 18 April 1839

Wednesday 13 March 1839

Thursday 29 May 1834