Thursday 7 November 1839

Small snowy morning Fahrenheit 60 1/2 on my table at 8 3/4 a.m. 

Dawdling over 1 thing or other looking for boots in boot box &c. &c. dressed - breakfast at 9 10/60 to 9 50/60 out about 10 1/4 Chez Sichler, and Ledebourg, and lastly _ _ _ _ for a coiffure for today

Back about 12 1/2 expecting Mr. Marc at one - and the Princess Radzivill at 2 - tried on her Greek douliette - busy over 1 thing or other - message - sorry - she is too poorly to leave her room today - no Mr. Marc till now 2 1/2 - wrote note to leave with Gross to be given to him (Mr Marc) if he comes this evening while we are away

Dressed - had the coiffeur who coiffed Ann very and put on my sort of cap with 2 marabous very well - It was 4, or a few minutes past, taking my watch at 16 minutes too late, before we were off - 2 or 3 or 4 minutes in arriving - everybody arrived - I fear it must have been nearly 4 1/2 by their clock when we arrived for it seemed that my watch was 25 minutes instead of ten en retard

Prince Gatilzin presented us to his niece Madame Apraxsine and the Countess Goudorich and to the Count Goudorich the husband the party consisted of 6 ladies and 8 gentries and a very handsome dinner - 4 glass candelabra on the table each holding 7 bougies - large chandelier in the centre of the room, and a girandole-lights at the side of the room - large and handsome - very large and handsome salon - and a fine suite of apartments which the Countess Goudorich took me to see, and Prince Gatilzin came with us and his niece and Ann but these the princess being away not lighted

I think dinner ordered over - in about one hour or 1 1/4 hour - then coffee immediately on coming into the salon - and sat a little while - perhaps staid about 1/2 hour after coffee till all the ladies being gone but the 2 old ones at the card table, we came away and wine at home at 6 1/4 by my watch - i.e. 6 40/60 but the clocks chez le prince then we were there probably about 2 1/4 hours not more I think

The Countess Goudorich and Madame Apraxsine gave us a general invitation - on return sent to inquire after our princess - would be glad to see us at tea at 8 - sat doing nothing till after 7, till 7 1/2 nearly, then wrote the last 18 line till now 7 35/60 by my watch i.e. 8 - Prince _ _ _ _ took me out to dinner and sat on my left (the niece on my right) and next to her Ann Prince Gatilzin sat nearly opposite to me between two old ladies Princess _ _ _ _ and _ _ _ _ my neighbour Prince _ _ _ _ talked much about our going to Siberia - we ought not to set off till April yet he allowed we had not much to fear from the cold - we might guard against that - In fact we might do the journey I am persuaded

The Princess Radzivill sent to say tea was ready about 8 10/60, 7 3/4 by my watch, and we went down and staid 1 1/2 hour till 9 1/4 by my watch - found her father there the Prince _ _ _ _ and the old English lady that almost lives chez lui - and afterwards came Princess _ _ _ _ Princess Radzivill's mother - the note of a physician being the subject of conversation and the packet of papers she had sent him, I asked to see some of them - she shewed me 1 - the history of the case down to 1835 - Could Dr. Belcombe do her any good?

On coming upstairs again found Mr. Marc had called about 5 minutes after we had gone to Princess Radzivill will come again between 12 and 1 tomorrow - said he had read my note of yesterday in a hurry - Gross gave him the note I left on my table to be given to him if he came while we were away - directed as yesterday to 'monsieur A Marc Esquire &c. &c. &c.' - compliments sorry I had not seen him at one today, my servant having brought word he would call at that hour - now sorry I should not be at home this evening - should be glad to see him tomorrow morning

Small snowy damp day - they said at dinner we had had 5 degrees of cold today - tonight at 11 Reaumur - -6 1/2 = Fahrenheit 17 1/2 - but I have not felt it cold - Fahrenheit had just written so far now at 11 10/60 by my watch - very stupid this evening - and stupid all today - I have had no walk since Tuesday voilà le pourquoi.

WYAS: SH:7/ML/E/23/0121

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Thursday 29 May 1834

Thursday 18 April 1839

Wednesday 13 March 1839