Tuesday 5 June 1838

Very fine morning had madame Calès - ordered 2 pair stays for Ann and 2 ditto ditto for myself to be sent home on Sunday morning - then had the coiffeur  (Carré) 1st. time dressed Ann and myself for which paid him 4/- to come at 8 a.m. tomorrow dressed - lucky - breakfast at 10

Dr. Tupper came about 10 20/60 and sat with us at breakfast - would have us go to St. Germain (not on a Sunday) by the rail road in the 32 sols places - then 5 sols more per omnibus up to the tower of St. Germain thought he could get us an order to see the old castle, if it be still proper, now a military penitentiary, for ladies to see - had their couturière - contente d' elle, after all - it was 1 p.m. before we got out

George to bring the dresses, to be my old merinos for a pattern, and Oddy to go with him to Madame Figarols and wait till we came - put Ann's letters into the Place de la Madelaine post - Ann's to her sister and aunt and the joint one to Samuel Washington, vide last page, to him cum multis aliïs - Mr. Parker, the Director of Brigg's bank to pay £200 to my credit at Hammersley's - to Mrs. Ann Lee

Then looked at old Oak carved chairs four at 60/- each - then strolled into and round the Marché de la place de La Madelaine – strawberries at 30 sols le petit panier - then to Madame Figarol's - chose each of us a Leghorn at 68/- untrimmed - Inquired for femme de chambre - praised one she knew of out of place, exceedingly I desired She might come at 8 this evening - discovered while at Figarol's that I had lost my little note rough book - (luckily not my account rough book) sure it was in my left breast redingote pocket en sortant - Did someone help it out in the jostle in the marché? probable - for tho' it would not tumble out of itself I had seen that it peeped out a little - they would not get much - nor is the loss of consequence to me, luckily

Then sauntered along the boulevards and turned down the rue Vivienne into the passage Vivienne and place des Victoires and then sauntered all round the Palais Royal and took fiacre - the Place du Palais Royal at 4 1/2 to number 27 rue St. Victor meant to bring away my plate &c. &c. felt sure I had left the plate in one of the buffet drawers - not to be found - turned all out - in vain! - Ann sure it will turn up - I as sure we shall see it no more - to go to Laffitte's tomorrow to inquire if I left it there - I feel sure I did not leave it there - I valued this little packet of plate that my poor aunt and I had used and after all the trouble I had about it on landing in London from Copenhagen - Eh bien! C'en est fait - I shall see it no more - But found my journals &c. apparently all right? Je verrai on my return from the Pyrenees, when I am resolved if possible to look all over and take much away - sent George off home at 6, and Ann and I and Oddy remained sorted out things, a few pots and pans, to bring back

Bought charcoal and to the value of 19/80, tea, sugar, soap, candles, bougies, rice, oil, vinegar, mustard - chez Sautier spicer rue St. Victor not far from my apartment

It rained a little sent the porters little girl for a fiacre - it was a Citadine number 788, little coupé terrible work to ourselves and all in it - Ann and I got in the place du Carrousel and left Oddy in the thing - arrived a minute after her - told the porter to help with all upstairs into the kitchen

Home about 7 3/4 - dinner at 8 - Perrelet came just before we sat down to dinner - Ann bought very pretty watch price 320 francs - sat talking - the femme chambre did not come my thought of taking her to the Pyrenees - had Oddy at 10 for about 1/2 hour between us - then contrived to light a charcoal fire boil our kettle and make some very good tea of that we bought today in my poor aunt's tea-pot - this and sitting on Ann's bed side to drink it with her, and then putting away all the things and tidying our servants pigstie of a buffet, well may the French complain of the dirt and untidyness of English servants, and leaving tea pot and kettle quite clean &c. &c. took me till 12 35/60 - then till 1 35/60 wrote the last 18 lines page 120, page 121 and so far of this page

Fine day till about 6 when a little  drizzling rain - not much - but wet and damp evening afterwards - then looking over bills and money till 2 35/60 at which hour Fahrenheit 68 1/2

WYAS: SH:7/ML/E/21/0116 & SH:7/ML/E/21/0117

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Thursday 18 April 1839

Wednesday 13 March 1839

Thursday 29 May 1834