Thursday 7 June 1838

Very fine morning - Carré, coiffeur, at 8 1/2 as yesterday - breakfast at about 10 - Fahrenheit 66 at 9 a.m. dressed - ready at 11

Took the 2 servants and Lefevre, laquais de Place, 1st. time and off at 11 40/60 in landau to St. Cloud by the avenue Charles X thro' the Bois de Boulogne - at the palace at 12 35/60 - the royal family to be there today therefore could not see the interior of the palace - alighted - walked about - went to the top of the Observatory and to see the Cascade and got into the carriage again at 1 40/60

En passant called on Madame de Bourke number 53 rue du Faubourg St. Honoré - very glad to see me - but almost immediately came the duchess of something and her 2 daughters and a gentleman the duke ..... I suppose and I took my leave - Madame de Bourke said there was a letter for me and shewed me to Miss Gassy who gave me the note from Miss Ferrall and gave me an address to a dressmaker and to a carossier letter of horses and carriages and on hearing of my going to St. Sauveur said she would give me letters, she is from near Tarbes, si celà me ferait plaisir - thanked her and said yes - Ann had waited for me in the carriage

Then to the bank, Ferrère Laffitte's, and exchanged at 25/40 two circulars numbers 4921 and 4922 - they looked at their books from 1831 and my Paris, ill-fated, plate had never passed thro' their hands at all from that time to this!

Then to the Passage des panoramas and bought ribands and came away at 3 10/60 - then to Rue de Richelieu number 40 Bonhourre Steiger and ordered 2 pair gaiters 1 pair for Ann 1 pair for me hers to lace mine to button, to come on Sunday at 9 a.m.

Then to Madame Contant and ordered mantelet for Ann and shawl for myself, same étoffe black silk, with black lace at 6/50 l'aune = 8 aunes for me - same for Ann to go to Madame Contant at 1 or afternoon tomorrow and to have shawl and mantelet and French cachemeer shawls for Ann to look at &c.

Then to Wallerand's for note-paper &c. Rue de la paix - she mentioned an apartment to be let for 300 for 1 month 500/- for 2 months and 700/- for 3 months in the rue d'Anjou - very good apartment and well furnished plenty of room for us - and knows of man and woman servant married and ditto man single - said I would apply to her for an apartment another time before my arrival - but this was said un peu legèrement - not likely to be acted upon

Off from Wallerand's at 5 1/4 to Houbigant's for toothbrushes for Ann and pomatum for us both - and then to Madame Figarol's for a minute or 2 and home to luncheon and then go to the coiffeur, could not find the way!

Dawdling over something or other with Ann - till dinner at 7 - then after 8 had the Lady's maid, a Suisse from Neuchatel, recommended by Madame Figarol - she would not take less than 400 or 500 francs a year - she did not make less at Madame de Comtesse de, Pourpri's she had lived with an English woman æt 40, serious - pious, before coming to Paris 8 years ago - thought she should not be dull in England - liked gaiety but did not seek it - said I would let her know in a day or 2 whether I thought of engaging her or not

Just went out to Oddy for a minute and found Ann, at 9, getting into bed - poorly all today

My note from Miss Ferrall (vide last page of this volume) affectionate and kind from all of them (the Blucher's) - much pleased with my letter tho' afraid I should not think so from the time she had been in answering it - her note dated May 1837 - Mr de hageman not happy tho he had got they the princes had refused his invitation to dinner and de Hageman now wished he had not acted so foolishly they are all sorry for lady Harriet's sake - Ann is terrible what shall I do with her I might as well have a millstone tied round my neck I must mend this someway go to the Pyrenees and to Montpellier and see how I can live there

Had just writtten so far at 10 p.m. fine day tho' rain – thundering and a few drops as we returned home near to Paris - I have just given her the last of our cherry brandy I perpetually think of Stephen's that I should have a deal of trouble with her he was very right but I will be off some way or other - Had Oddy - at accounts - till now 11 10/60 p.m. Fahrenheit 66 at 11 20/60 p.m.

WYAS: SH:7/ML/E/21/0117 & SH:7/ML/E/21/0118 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Thursday 18 April 1839

Wednesday 13 March 1839

Thursday 29 May 1834