Friday 8 June 1838

Very fine morning Fahrenheit 65 1/2 at 8 20/60 a.m. sat writing or thinking what to write to Hammersley &c. till Oddy came to ask about breakfast at near 9 - coiffeur not come - went to Ann - so poorly I could scarce hear her speak - ordered breakfast - the coiffeur came at 9 and Ann had sat down to have her hair dressed about 10 minutes before breakfast was brought up - I sat down to breakfast, and had got about 1/4 when Ann was done and I had the coiffeur - Ann had lain down and locked the doors - but on my second going to her let me in - begged to have a room to herself and for no one to go and disturb her - I was therefore to be obliged to get my imperial out, and poor Ann went into the drawing room - this is very terrible - I scarce know what to do - so long a journey at to the Pyrenees with Ann's nerves in this state! Lui oservait entreprende une tel voyage dans une telle circunstance? Courage? ou que faut il que je fasse? writing my journal does me more good than anything - I must do as well as I can - L'espirit s'excite par les difficultés

Had just written so far, when Dr. Tupper called to say we could not possibly see the chateau at St. Germain - he sat 1/4 hour or 20 minutes - very civil about Ann - I said she was very poorly - went in to ask her if she would see him - no! he explained the nature of cuticular complaints - not the skin that was the seat of the disease but the corpus mucosum or reticulatum from an acrid matter oozed, might be distinguished with a good microscope, and a little medicine was required - these complaints should not be neglected - no outward application would do any good - the douches would do no good - nor did he think the waters of St. Sauveur would do any good but if Miss Walker thought they would, it would be best to try

Had had Madame Contant for a moment while Dr. Tupper was here - I was not dressed save in my dressing and received him i[n] the dining Ann being in the salon - to be at Madame Contant's at 1 - Ann would go

Took the laquais de place only and off in the carriage, which had waited since 11 1/2, at 12 1/2 - 1 5/60 hour at Madame Contant's choosing a shawl, 'tapis, cachemire Francais', &c. &c. bought 2 or 3 pair of gloves for Ann in returning at Privats, and home about 2 - put on Ann's shawl she had just bought and left her at home Oddy gone at 2 1/2 to take her lesson in hairdressing and George went out with me as far as embassy where not wanting, him, I let him go - left my passport to be sent to the prefecture, and left my card 'Miss Lister' for Lady Granville at the porter's - then drove off to number 5 Rue de L'université - madame Noé sortie - left no card

Then to Madame Cuvier's - she ill but Madame ---- received for her - I concluded for I did not distinctly the madame it was madamoiselle Duvaunssel and I was ushered in to the cidevant madamoiselle Duvaunssel now, as I soon found from her talk to a young gentleman tête à tête with her, madame - she mentioned mon mari twice and 'la Bretagne où j'habite habituellement' - was in Paris by accident at the time her 'maman' was taken ill - had come to take her a little 'voyage à Bordeaux' told the alarm she had been in but that maman was now out of danger but all this was told to the mustachioed gentleman not to me to whom she did not address one word but on my saying I had called to inquire after madame Cuvier, that I was tres bonne and an indistinct word on my coming away which I did in two minutes with sufficient dignity and civility no servant shewed me down or even opened the outdoor I did it myself I wondered at all this but cared not who is she now by marriage? she looked neat and well and satisfied to be madame at last

Inquired for Monsieur and Madame Audoin at their door - Madame Audoin sortie - left my card and wrote on it my address in pencil - then to Rue de Surene number 23 bis - Long talk with Madame Figarol about the femme de chambre - It ended my saying she might come at 9 a.m. tomorrow to sew for a day or 2 and if I liked her I would make inquiries for des renseignments (her character) from her last place

Home at 5, and found Dr. Double that moment come - said I was glad he had come - had thought of sending for him - Ann poorly - explained - he wrote a prescription (ordannance) for a 'liniment' to rub the back along the spine for 20 minutes at night before getting into bed and for the same length of time just before getting up in a morning - of huile de Camerille? and ether ascetique and laudanum de Sydenham each 1/2oz to be well shaken before used - Sure the waters will cure Ann will come at 8 p.m. on and give a written direction to Ann for all she is to do - her tongue was good, her pulse good - riding and travelling very good for her - I joked afterwards and said the sight of Dr. Double had done her good - yes! She was very glad she had not seen Dr. Tupper he would have given her medicine and thought nothing was the matter but she was hipped

Dinner at 7 the carriage then waited some time left the servants at dinner took the laquais (Lefevre) and off about 8 - ordered 5lbs roast beef at Michels for tomorrow at 7 p.m. and left the prescription at Bérals Rue de la Paix - then drove along the boulevards to the elephant to the column that there is now to be commemorating the victims of les trois jours (Juillet 1830) got the liniment in returning then drove to the Palais Royal and bought a bottle of crême de noyau des Jules for Ann and a small bottle of orange flavour water - then home at 9 3/4

Ann had Oddy, then I - then at 10 1/2 for 20 minutes rubbed Ann's back and then wrote all the last page and so far of this - fine day Fahrenheit 65 1/2 now at 1 50/60 p.m.

What humbug about Ann and her illness and from Oddy's manner gently it seems she thinks so too? I must get over this Pyrenees job as well as I can and get rid of her as soon as I can poor thing what will become of her!

WYAS: SH:7/ML/E/21/0118 & SH:7/ML/E/21/0119 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Thursday 18 April 1839

Wednesday 13 March 1839

Thursday 29 May 1834