Thursday, 15 May 1834

Soft Rainy morning - Fahrenheit 56 at 9 - till when reading Hooper's Medical Dictionary - Joseph in consequence of my out till so late last night did not go to the post office till this morning - Letter (1st. leaf to Washington and Sarah (order for £60 and directions about cowslip wine) and page 3 half crossed to myself from Miss Walker York - wants to send Matthew off here on Saturday - has named to her (which I did not intend) his chance of sleeping in my father's room - he was to take less in shaving and be perfect by Saturday!

From 9 to 9 40/60 wrote 3 pages to Miss Walker then with Marion till 10 40/60 - sent off Joseph with my letter to 'Miss Walker, Heworth Grange, York' at 10 3/4 - not to send of Matthew on Saturday morning but on Tuesday morning - his sleeping in my father's room not certain - but Marion wishes and hopes it, and may manage between when I am out of the way room in it - not to send more asparagus 'I fear it does not agree very well with my aunt and she will eat it if you send it' - many thanks and best love from us all that came by Sarah - say the truth is that I do not much like Miss Walker's giving carpet or counterpane to Mrs. Bewley - had better give her something she herself can wear or some nicknack - we will talk about it - to write and ask what the Juvenal Lubini ielh [Eilh.] and what she is indebted to Mr. Wilson of Hull for that and sending box off to Scotland, and send him a bill for the exact sum - I or Dr. Belcombe will manage it at Swann's

Off to Halifax down the old bank at 11 20/60 no! a heavy shower at that moment prevented me - rain more or less till 1 reading Hooper's Medical Dictionary and Smith's Botany - at Mr. Parker's office at 1 1/2 for 25 minutes - William Green had yesterday signed (executed) the deed of sale of his cottage - told Mr. Parker to find the value of a hundred pounds sunk for 2 lives of 74 and 70 - William Green's wife to go down and see Mr. Parker on Saturday - John Bottomley's Empsall's and Pickell's leases ready - many people had been to see the plan of Northgate - Mr. Parker has had £8000 bid - said I thought Green would have given me £9000 - I said the reserve bidding was to be £10000 i.e. no open sale under that sum - Mr. Parker sure, then, it would not be sold - very well! I was indifferent about it - Mr. Parker seemed inclined for me to make some agreement with Mrs. Scatcherd - no! said I had rather the matter remained as it was - I had no idea of selling now - let her keep the place the term out (but not let it) and then I might put it up in lots or let it again - I had told Green, it was nonsense and throw away the auction duty - if any one, after the sale, wished to agree for the property by private contract I might perhaps take £9500 - Mr. Parker in speaking for the room for the sale tomorrow had had an opportunity of mentioning Godley - Mr. Carr quite on his high horse about it - He would sell it or anything he had if his price came - would not take less than £3500 for Godley and had had £3100 bid - I must have it I was making a fine open range of ground - a park - could not do without Godley - would not sell it without my knowing - Mr. Parker seemed inclined for me to give the money - said I should never get it for less - I said gold might be bought too dear with silver - I had offered enough for it, and if Mr. Carr sold it so that I was incommoded I was not bound to live at Shibden - Mr. Parker said oh! I could not think of leaving it - said I was more indifferent about it than he or anyone thought - a better neighbourhood might easily be found returned up the old bank

Some time with Mallinson and then with Pickells - told both I heard Mr. Carr had had above £3000 bid for Godley - this was beyond me, and I did not care about it - I should not care whether I staid here or not

At 3 off down the walk to Lidgate - met Gill at the Hipperholme bar - and went with him to Yew trees wood - brushed thro', as we could, the narrow range of wood formerly a road to the springs along the bottom of Mr. Wilkinson's field and top the Southowram parson's land and quarry which last has in some places encroached - I ought to make up the wall against Mr. Wilkinson or might be liable to damage for accidents - no! said I would not - I had offered to make a good wall if Mr. Wilkinson would sell me a yard or 2 of ground to found the wall upon but as he would not I could not make a job of it and would let it alone - then went down to where Freeman's men were bearing - William Smith the head man - he thought the stone in Robin close would be very good, as good or better than what they were now getting - there 14 yards deep to bear at the top of the wood top of where they are getting (and the field Robin close) rises so little above that - perhaps a yard above it - there would be only 15 yards of bearing, and the stone would be very well worth getting - told Gill to get as much fence stuff as we wanted - to take a breast 10 yards wide throughout up before him - fell and cut down ready for bearing next year or before - and as a proof of the wall and along at the top of Robin Close being mine to begin where he left off, and turn the bit Holland had done (acknowledging it was my fence) with its face to my way - the 5 roods and 4 yards Pickells had offered him a sovereign for walling up could not be done at that - the stone getting to the place would cost 12/- now obliged to come so far round to avoid Mr. Freeman's grass in the Robin close - said then wait till after hay time - ordered another bit next Mr. Macauley's field to be railed off on their side the wall in the old line of hedge to shew my right to the trees in it

Lidgate 25 minutes from 5 35/60 to 6 - Miss Walker had not been well - had had a blister between her shoulders - Sarah seems not to like much Mr. and Mrs. Bewley - thinks them all talk to Miss Walker but not doing 1/2 enough (in the Kitchen) to make her comfortable - sauntered home thro' the walk and came in at 6 3/4

Dinner at 6 50/60 - coffee - instruct to Joseph - 3/4 hours with my father and afterwards with Marion talking about Northgate and Godley - then 1/2 hour with my aunt till after 10 - wrote all but the 1st. 12 lines of today, and reading Hooper's Medical Dictionary till 11 1/4 at which hour Fahrenheit 59 3/4 - fine morning - gloomy towards 10 - rain from 11 20/60 to 1 - afterwards except a few drops fair for the rest of the afternoon and evening - Reading at and a little after dinner more of Walpole's Reminiscences - Said Gill this afternoon in cutting and laying a hedge if on hilly ground always lay it up hill whatever be the aspect - if on level ground always lay it to the west

WYAS: SH:7/ML/E/17/0032 & SH:7/ML/E/17/0033



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Thursday 18 April 1839

Wednesday 13 March 1839

Thursday 29 May 1834