Wednesday, 14 May 1834


Fine Fahrenheit 54 at 7 3/4 - ready in an hour and out with Pickells - breakfast at 8 1/2 - Marion's picture (view of Shibden dale by Mr. Horner £20) came last night - busy with Charles Howorth putting it up in the little sitting room hanging my father's bell

Asleep in my study from 10 1/2 for an hour rain about 10 20/60 prevented my going to Yewtrees wood - fair at 11 1/2 - but a shower, heavyish at 1st., soon afterwards - made me determine not to go - Mr. Sunderland came - saw my father - said he had, evidently had a slight paralytic seizure - my aunt's ankle bled more than ever last night - the linen kept unwashed - Mr. S- Sunderland said there might be 2 oz. ounces = 4 leeches - my aunt poorly today - but he said there was no material change in her general health, and still thinks she may get over the summer - difficult I think to say whether she or my father is the worst

Pickells and his 2 men in the garden today - I said too much had been cut away from under the house near the door - it must be raised again 4 or 5 inches - so all our levelling has to be changed - Sykes and another man holing posts - Hardy at brick wall against lower water closet would have finished it, but obliged to stop for alabaster (to mix with mortar to run in the wall and studding) and began to get the lower water closet window in the afternoon - 2 Carts bringing road stuff to level up the old lane in Hall Croft - John brought 1 Load coals this morning and lime this afternoon

Wrote the above of today till 1 10/60 - then looking over journal, and out at 2 (chiefly with Pickells relevelling in front of the house) till dinner at 6 1/4 - coffee - had Marion - then Cordingley - out at 8, with John, planting out Cowslips that came from Miss Walker yesterday, and weeding till 9 20/60 then with Marion till near 10 - then 25 minutes with my aunt and came to my study at 10 20/60 at which hour Fahrenheit 55 3/4 - rain in the morning (vide line 4 of today) fine from about 1 p.m. for the rest of the day and evening - Reading Hooper's Medical Dictionary till 11 20/60 -   

WYAS: SH:7/ML/E/17/0032

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Thursday 18 April 1839

Wednesday 13 March 1839

Thursday 29 May 1834